Bug List

Prompt:  Identify 20 "bugs" that either you or others around you experience in your daily life.
  1.  Be as specific as possible about each "bug." While its OK to say that the drive-thru at McDonald's is too slow, it's much better to say something like "During rush hour, the drive-thru at McDonald's on Baymeadows Road is so slow that the line backs out onto the street!"
  2. For each "bug," ask "why" the bug exists and write the answer underneath each bug. (FYI: you should ask "why" the bug exists, not "why" it bugs you.) This is a little trick that can help us get closer to the root cause of the problem.
  3. After you have written the list of 20 "bugs," write your reflection on the challenges you had in coming up with the list. Did you find it difficult? How so? 
Here's my shot at it...
  1. Gainesville streetlights (and many other places in the world *cough cough Orlando cough cough*) often have such inefficient light cycles  So often I come to a light during rush hour with a line of cars backed up a quarter mile to see that the reason is the light goes green for only 12 seconds (enough time for about 5-7 cars to pass at a time assuming they aren't turning or aren't distracted by their phones).  I'm specifically thinking of the Archer Road/SW 34th Street light while driving northbound and the single lane eastbound at University Ave & 34th Street.
    1. Why? This bug exists because streetlights are often timed at specific times of days (or the same timing throughout the day). This short light cycle may work fine outside of the morning rush hour when there aren't many northbound travelers compared to the Archer traffic, but man... show some love to people on the south side!!
  2. Piggybacking on the first bug, I also am bugged that the City of Gainesville was sick enough to allow multiple streetlights within 50 yards of each other.  Downtown Main Street, Newberry Road by the Oaks Mall, and Newberry Road also where NW 8th Avenue merges are all examples of this.
    1. Why? I feel as though the city made some poor decisions when these lights and streets were planned.  I feel as though they should have expected the huge population growth caused by the University way back when this infrastructure was put in place, so shame on them...
  3. My third bug is something everyone can agree with in some sense:  all the biased news.  It is sad how rare it is to find a news source that truly reports just the facts of a story without putting a biased twist to it.
    1. Why? Everyone has their biases.  It's hard for journalists who have learned their whole lives to implement their own character into their writing to simply write about news in a strictly factual and non-biased way.
  4. It bugs me how much apartment rent can be based on location alone.  A prime example of this is the Standard.  Their rent is sky-high and here's a spoiler alert: these "luxury apartments" are no more luxurious than any other apartment complex built in the last 5 years. Average quality at best.  I don't think the location justifies such a high rental rate.  Back home in Mississippi, I could be taking out a mortgage on a 3000 SF house for the same rental rate that some of these students are paying monthly.
    1. Why? Developers overdevelop a property and cause a high cost per square foot on a property because of its location and make unreal profit margins on tenants who just care about being next to Warrington and Chick-Fil-A and live off of their parents' money (no offense to anyone)
  5. Piggybacking on number 4, retail spaces under urban developments such as the Standard are the worst thing to happen to retail/restaurants and there's nothing you can do to change my mind 
    1. Why? Thinking about feasibility, people will only go so far out of their way to get something that they want.  I adore Chick Fil A with every bone in my body, but sometimes I often defer going there due to the trouble of parking.  If I'm driving west back to work, I'll absolutely choose PDQ over Chick Fil A solely based on the parking situation.
  6. City Zoning is a huge bug for me at this time because of my Capstone project.  The city will improperly zone a parcel of land (i.e. the vacant property on Hull Road just west of campus) which requires 70% primary frontage on a 1.43-acre property.  This severely impacts the types of development that are willing to take place on these properties.  
    1. Why? City planning strikes again with trying to overgrow too many areas of Gainesville in an inefficient way.  This property would be golden to create a new restaurant/nightlife scene, but zoning severely hinders that ability.
  7. This one is directed toward the University of Florida and I know a ton of seniors can feel me here: Who the heck thought of excess hours anyways?   Because I didn't decide to change my major until my sophomore year & many credits didn't transfer over, I'm now paying an additional $1,600 OUT OF POCKET for this excess hours surcharge. GIVE ME A BREAK.
    1. Why? I understand not wanting students to linger around in college forever but give some slack to the students that change their major or didn't take dual enrollment/come in with a ton of AP credits.  Their excess hour surcharge definitely needs more leeway or should start at a much higher amount of credits than 115% of what's required for your degree.
  8. Here's another shot fired at the University of Florida:  the Out of State Tuition rate is ridiculous.  There is no way to legitimize why a student should pay 4.5 times the in-state tuition rate because they didn't come from Florida.  I took out loans on top of my $10K annual scholarship to afford my out of state tuition for the first 2.5 years.  Since then, I took a year off, have maintained a full-time job, and have paid the last 2.5 years out-of-pocket for in-state tuition.  For the 2.5 years of out-of-state tuition, I accrued over $100,000 in student loans.
    1. Why? Families of Out-of-State students had not paid any taxes to the state of Florida (no state income tax, but that's none of my business...), so that must absolutely justify charging $948/credit hour for these out-of-state students instead of the normal $212/credit hour rate for in-state students.  I hope a democrat forgives my student loan debt eventually, lol.
  9. It bugs me that the State of Florida allows motorcyclists to not wear helmets. It's very inconsistent with laws such as the "Click It or Ticket" movement.
    1. Why? I'm all about giving people freedom, but this is a severe safety issue that has led to so many more people dying or suffering from brain damage. I can give a better reason why...
  10. The evolution of rock music bugs me.  How can such beautiful music from the 70's-early 2000's just seemed to disappear? 
    1. Why? Artistic talent in songwriting and composing have all but fled the minds of new artists, and there's nothing organic about adding any kind of technological sound to it.  Give me a piano, acoustic, electric, bass & drums and a talented vocalist and leave me be.
  11. Here's one that pertains to my workplace (a construction management company).  When we are preparing to bid a large project, our entire company works together to thoroughly review through and write each scope for each division/trade that we will be receiving proposals from.  It's all tracked in Excel tabs and implemented into a Master Spreadsheet containing tabbed spreadsheets for each trade.  I'm bugged that we go through the trouble of separating a blank master spreadsheet and go through the trouble of packaging it all back together. Why don't we use Google Sheets or another interface where all users can work together simultaneously on one Master Spreadsheet?
    1. Why? Company processes are slow to evolve.
  12. I am bugged by a work style that constantly needs to shift to different subjects/topics/projects and cannot stay focused on one job for any substantial amount of time.
    1. Why? It causes inefficiency in the workplace.
  13. I am bugged by people who drive slowly in the left lane.
    1. Why? The left lane in a two-lane directional road is intended to be used as a passing lane.  Many people have not figured this out yet and sadly never will.
  14. I am also bugged by people who cruise in other people's blind spots, especially mine.
    1. Why? Because they are inadvertently being a hazard to other drivers around them.  It only takes one time for a rushed driver to forget to check their blind spot before switching lanes for a major wreck to occur.
  15. I am bugged by my desire to always feel the need to please others and not let them down.
    1. Why? It's part of my personality.  My enneagram is a 3 wing 2, so I naturally like to entertain and serve others.  Therefore, displeasing them causes me great stress.
  16. I am bugged by the Gators sports teams that always seem to be one win away from contending for a national title.  This year, if Florida would have beaten either Georgia or LSU (both were winnable games), we would have been in the college football playoffs, no doubt.  The same goes for basketball and baseball (disregard the 2018 CWS.
    1. Why?  I am heavily passionate about Gator sports, which causes me to constantly feel let down when we fall just barely short.  Also, because we always seem to have some star players that decide to not show up for big games that would otherwise have been the X-factor in taking the Dub.
  17. I am bugged by the fact that other people that I work with prioritize my communications with them based on my job title.  I hate that I have to sometimes have a coworker email asking for the same thing just because their title in their email reads "Project Manager" instead of "Project Coordinator"
    1. Why? People think that since an email is coming from a "Project Coordinator," then it must not be that important, or he must not need to be included in every email when in reality, I am often the person who is primarily managing the projects. 
  18. I am bugged by people who seem to need to find something to complain about no matter what they do.  I have many students that I currently take all of my classes with and they always have some kind of complaint on the quality of the professor's lecturing skills or the content of the assignments.
    1. Why? These people tend to often be somewhat self-absorbed and struggle when facing adversity.
  19. I am bugged by my procrastination habits.
    1. Why? It causes a ton of unnecessary stress when things are finally due.  Even though I've improved on this habit recently by at least starting on things earlier, I tend to still procrastinate when it comes to finishing them.
  20. I am bugged by the fact that I can be overly detail-oriented to where I constantly feel the need to know all possible information before making decisions or moving forward with a task.
    1. Why? This tendency causes me to lack haste in my decision making often, which sometimes may even feed into my procrastination habits.
Surprisingly enough, I didn't seem to have much trouble with coming up with these bugs.  The video that Dr. Pryor posted in which he mentioned walking through your daily life and routine gave me plenty of material to work with.  I could have easily written another ten before slowing down.  Through these bugs, I show myself walking through my daily routine, looking back on today's events (got a little salty at one point), and finished looking inward at my own struggles and habits.  It caused me to be more critical of myself and what irks me.  Hopefully, this gives me the grounds I need to begin improving on these bugs within my life and to start looking at them with a solution-focused mind.  Thank you for reading my long-winded bug list (another bug of mine). 

Comments

  1. Hi Jason! I totally agree with your "bugs". The things that you wrote about the bugs in Gainesville is all very true. The rent in Gainesville is sky high, especially if you want to live somewhere like the Standard. To me it just seems very classist, but maybe that's just me. While I do understand the fact that location is very important as far as land pricing goes it still hurts the renter, especially college students. Overall though I agree with your bugs wholeheartedly, and I think most other college students would too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jason,
    I can absolutely relate with the “bug” you listed about procrastination. Although I have been working on improving my tendency to procrastinate, I always seem to end up falling right back into the habit at some point in each semester. I agree with your statement that this does cause much unneeded stress when the assignment due date begins to creep closer and you realize you now have to work twice as hard to catch back up than you would have if you had just started to work sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 6 - Economic Opportunities & Regulatory Trends

Assignment 8 - Solving the Problem

Assignment 16 - What's Your Secret Sauce?